Ironstone® “Grand Series” Pro Chef Damascus Knife 8 Inch
or 4 payments of $44.75 with Learn More
Aus-10 Ultra-premium steel 200mm (8”) blade & 52mm heel
- Imagine Australian Iron ore formed 1 Million years before mankind even existed.
- Imagine that ore smelted in a Japanese foundry into ultra-premium high carbon “Wonder Steel”.
- Imagine the ancient art of the Samurai swordsmith bringing his greatness to bear to create a hand-crafted blade with its centre of gravity set slightly forward of the red Bolster line allowing the blade to naturally rock forward for ultra-ergonomic cutting.
- Imagine a blade with a feather-fine Damascus pattern comprising 70 individual layers melded into one single layer just 2mm thick and measuring up to an incredible 69 on the Rockwell Hardness scale.
- Imagine holding a knife of such world class craftmanship in your hand. Imagine no more! Ironstone “Grand Series” Pro Chef Knives are the ultimate fusion of tradition and technology. Own one today and if it’s not the most superb knife you’ve ever owned, send it back within 30 days for a 100% Money back Guarantee and a personally autographed copy of the best-selling book Your Perfect Steak. Warning: This product is surgically sharp. Warning: This product is surgically sharp.
Naturally it comes with a full 30 Day Money Back Guarantee and we extended a 7 Year Workmanship Warranty.
Extra Special Bonus
Every customer will receive a personally autographed copy of the bestselling book Your Perfect Steak. See below how to claim this limited special offer.
268 in stock
Ironstone® “Grand Series” Pro Chef Knife Aus-10
Imagine Australian iron ore formed 1 million years before mankind even existed.
Imagine that ore smelted in a Japanese foundry into ultra-premium stainless steel. Imagine the ancient art of the Samurai swordsmith bringing his greatness to bear on a single, hand-crafted blade. Imagine a blade with a feather-fine Damascus pattern comprising 70 individual layers melded into one. Imagine owning a knife of such world class craftsmanship now in your hands. Imagine no more!
Right from the start, our goal was to create the finest knife imaginable. Of course, it had to be incredibly sharp but, crucial to our design team, it had to be uniquely Australian. We believe the knife we’ve created is a masterpiece; a fusion of design, character and technology.
Starting with Australian iron ore was something that really set the stage for us to engineer a knife that was Australian, literally to the core. We chose the iconic Frill Necked Lizard to represent the brand, a local of the Ironstone ranges of Western Australia. The steel that makes the blade is Aus-10 and is often referred to as “wonder steel” because when casting into a knife it exhibits the most desirable traits of high corrosion resistance, incredible hardness, and excellent edge retention. The Aus-10 steel used is smelted in Japan. This process involves engineering stainless steel of very specific percentages of carbon, manganese, molybdenum and vanadium to create a proprietary steel perfect for ultra-premium knives. The final forging process of actually crafting the knife is completed to ISO 9001 QA Standards by expert blade-smiths in a world-class knife factory in mainland China.
Beauty was also a driving factor in our design. That’s why you’ll see the blade has an incredibly delicate and detailed Damascus pattern. This finish, called Pattern Welding, is created by layering the steel and forging it together over and over. In fact, this knife has been layered and forged up to 70 times to create a unique pattern that is imbued into the blade right to its very core.
Something of particular note with each Ironstone knife is the “sinuate”. This is the line separating the blade from the cutting edge. Each sinuate is unique. This is because the process of honing is done by hand which makes no two knives the same, each one is literally a work of art, distinct from any other.
This honing method is known as the Honbazuke Method and is essentially done in three stages.
- Stage one is where the blade is ground on a lubricated rotating sharpening stone to bring the edge down to approximately 30∞.
- Stage 2 is much more precise and only the most skilled craftsmen and women are allowed to perform this task. Here the craftsperson hones the shoulder of the blade back from the edge using a horizontal sharpening stone. Not unlike cutting diamonds, this process requires great concentration and skill. This is where you can see the slight variations in the sinuate making each knife, like each hand-cut diamond, unique.
- Stage 3 is done using a leather strop which removes the minute bevel of the edge giving it that razor-sharp finish.
Finally, once the blade has been inspected under a microscope to ensure it is within exact tolerances, the blade is tempered in a process called Cryogenic Quenching. In this step the entire blade is immersed in liquid nitrogen, a treatment that imparts very high wear resistance to the steel.
The spine thickness of the blade is just 2mm thick (with full tang) which minimises resistance when slicing as the surgically sharp edge leads the blade through to the board. The blade tip or point has also been carefully designed allowing you to carry out the very finest of work.
The final hardness of Aus-10 Steel has been tested on the Rockwell hardness scale (HRC) at 62/69 +/- 2%. Any harder and chipping of the edge can occur. Any softer and it could not hold such a surgically sharp edge.
Don’t concern yourself with sharpening this knife. The edge itself has excellent retention and over time we recommend using a 6000/1000 stone to keep it super sharp. All it takes are a few strokes on each side and the job is done. ** If you don’t already have one of these stones, use the Discount Voucher in the box to get a great deal.
Balance is something you hear a lot about when people discuss knives. The Ironstone 20cm Pro Chef’s knife has it’s the centre of gravity set slightly forward of the red Bolster line. This is entirely intentional allowing the blade to naturally rock forward when cutting. A high 52mm heel ensures good clearance between the chef’s knuckle and the board whilst allowing for excellent control and stability.
The high heel is why Sous-chefs love this knife. It allows them to work for hours on end, controlling the knife with ease and agility in what is referred to as “The Chef’s Grip.”
The handle of this knife is also unique to the Ironstone Grand Series. After talking with many professional chefs, we crafted a handle that is 35 % larger (30mm x 22mm) than handles of similar knives in this category because the feedback was that a broader handle with a deeper ballast felt more stable in an adult’s hand. The central section of the handle then slopes inwards toward the diagonal bolster and the back-sloped butt which gives the most natural grip. Again, we’ve had the Frill Necked Lizard engraved on the end cap.
The material used as the handle is Garolite, an incredibly hard composite material similar to carbon fibre and favored for its high strength, low moisture absorption, electrical insulation and resistance to chemicals and staining. It is the same material used by the military for the hand grips on precision weapons. Three rivets with the central one being a feature secure the handle to the full tang.
To summarise the key features of this beautiful instrument:
- Aus-10 “Wonder Steel’ comprised of vanadium for edge retention and chromium for corrosion resistance.
- Vacuum heat-treated central Aus-10 core.
- Folded layered core of up-to 70 layers creating an ultra-fine Damascus pattern.
- Blade cryogenically quenched in liquid nitrogen at a temperature of -185∞ to harden and strengthen the chromium within the stainless-steel alloy for maximum wear resistance.
- Hand polished edge and “signature sinuate” on each blade.
- An almost impossible 8-12∞ edge.
- 64/69 +/- 2% on the Rockwell (HRC) hardness scale.
- Full Tang handles with triple riveted non-slip Garolite grip.
- Feature bolster band delineating centre of gravity.
- High heel (52mm) desired by professional chefs.
- V-shaped tip for high-precision work.
- Did we mention a surgically sharp blade?
- Hand stitched, branded leather sheath with tongue for storage and edge protection.
Included with your package:
- Ironstone® “Grand Series” Pro Chef Knife
- Leather sheath
- Branded polishing cloth
- Instruction booklet
- Discount voucher for future purchases at The Perfect Steak Company.
- Extra Special Bonus Offer
Extra Special Bonus Offer
These knives were designed by Bell Parc, stockman, chef and author of the best-selling book “Your Perfect Steak”. Order your knife today and Bell will personally autograph a copy of the book and post it to you in the mail. If you’d like your copy of the book personally autographed, please write the inscription you’d like in the Special Comments section. Note: Book sent separately to Amazon customers.
We’ve invested greatly in creating a knife which we want you to love more than any knife you’ve ever owned, or ever will. We want it to be a feature piece of your kitchen, home cook or pro-chef alike. We want you to love using it and every time you handle it to enjoy the pure pleasure of having such a refined tool at your disposal.
Naturally, it comes with a full 30 Day Money Back Guarantee and we extended a 7 Year Workmanship Warranty.
Ironstone® “Grand Series” Pro Chef Knives are a work of art, born from a passion to craft a uniquely Australian knife, proud to feature in the most prestigious kitchens. Ultimately though, what you’re investing in is a tool that is simply a pleasure to use, day after day, year after year.
|Dimensions||44 × 10 × 4 cm|